Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So you think you can dance.....


Kenzie and Jaymz


The 'MEN'


Most interesting idea we have had in our almost ten years of owning a dance studio is teaching high school boys to dance....Peggy was the brain child behind the idea and I have to admit at first I was skeptical. What boys would ever agree to such an idea? We have a Boy's Club at the studio for 10-13 year olds and I signed Easton up the first year. Now keep in mind, we couldn't tell his dad he had dance class, because well Reid would just not understand. Easton lasted all of two or three practices (Could it possibly have been the constant jokes and teasing from older brothers that made him quit...) although I have to say I still catch Easton doing a clogging step or two around the house....So I was thinking I could never talk my 16 year old boys into dance---who are we going to get?

Then it dawned on us....we take 16 of the cutest, most talented, fun girls and have them dance with the boys......hard to get boys to sign up....I think not. (I didn't claim the boys had to have any dance talent or rhythmn, they just had to be willing). Last year we talked 16 of them into doing two numbers, a clogging number and a salsa number. I have to say those our some of our most frustrating practices and nothing gives me a headache like the 32 of them dancing (inbetween the talking and the flirting), but I have also never had so many laughs. Sometimes we wonder which steps a boy is actually doing, and some of the looks on their faces are unforgetable. And talk about good sports---we got 'em. I even dare to say there was some practicing going on for some of the boys and most of them wanted to know when we were going to practice next?

This year we have taken it a step higher. WE actually hired two choreographers for their numbers. We brought in Misty Peterson to teach the boys and girls a clogging number and our lastest choreography session was with Jaymz from Season 2 of 'So You Think You Can Dance' and High School Musical 1 and 2. (By the way, if your boy is going to play football you spell it James, but if there going to be a dancer its JAYMZ....keep that in mind.) Jaymz, taught the boys and girls the 'Lindy Hop.' I was completely impressed and so was Jaymz. NEVER say never....and never underestimate the power of a cute girl....

3 comments:

hennchix said...

Ha! That is FUNNY!! I would love to see that! Kudos!

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

Ty saw the blog this morning and was like, "What? all those boys dance? why?" I tried to explain that it was the same reason he is doing country social dance with me.... girls! Love you mom.

Mindy said...

I loved the boys number at the recital. Glad to see they will do more! I love that Peggy, Janet and you have provided so many great opportunities for our children in the community! Thank you!